« January 2008 | Main | March 2008 »

February 27, 2008

My Dad

Dad.jpg

My dad passed from this life to the next 12 years ago today. He was one of the most amazing people I've ever known. He was a career Navy man. He was always the life of the party, but enjoyed being a silent hero.

Once in a while I hear from someone from his past. They each have their own Paul Whaley story. Sometimes the stories are of him doing something huge. Like the day he spent arranging for housing for a single mom and her boys, after their house literally fell down. Then, he slipped $100. to a sailor in their office and had him go fill her pantry and refrigerator saying, "tell her it's just a gift from a friend".

Some of the stories are of smaller acts. Once he overheard a sailor talking among his friends about not having the money for a new winter coat for his little boy, "But it is New Orleans... we can get by until payday with an extra shirt and a sweatshirt". The next morning as the sailor was leaving for work, he found hanging from the railing outside his apartment, a brand new leather jacket in just his little boy's size. One of the neighbors had seen my dad put it there around midnight.

He was a hero for me too, all the time. Despite being very ill he gave Benny and me a Fairy Tale Wedding. The next year, he almost died in October. But Kaity was due in November. He willed himself to make it through that and stay alive, because I needed him to hold my baby.

He was one of the good guys, and I miss him.

Cheers Dad!

February 19, 2008

Toey

We sing a lot at our house. Each child has their own song at a very young age, usually derived from "Real" songs. This beautiful little cherub came to me this evening saying "Gramma, sing Toey, SING TOEY!

sepia.jpg

So as she danced we sang...

There is a little girl I love
And Chloe is her name OH
C-H-L-O-E, C-H-L-O-E, C-H-L-O-E,
And Chloe is her name OH

She is now walking around like this saying, "Peet a Boo, see you!"
And ran to the back of the house!

pigtails.jpg

February 18, 2008

Cross My Heart

CrossMyHeart.jpg

This is the finished February square for the Monthly 12 inch Block CAL on Ravlery. I made the edges my own. The pattern, as written, was a little too froo froo for the look I want in this afghan.

February 16, 2008

Hooray! (as told by Sarah)

Today is a very special day for little Miss Chloe. She peed in the potty! Her Dora potty chair has fascinated her for a while, but she just couldn't do it. Then tonight, all of a sudden she said "Pee potty!" and she did it! We are all very proud!

Posted by Sarah at 08:43 PM

February 08, 2008

Crochet CAL

My Sainted Grandmother taught me to crochet when I was still in Elementary School. I spent an entire summer making granny square coasters for everyone for Christmas. The next summer she taught me Ripple Stitch Afghans, and how to read the pattern, and I was off.

I love knitting and spinning, but a crochet hook in my hand feels like "home".

There is a Ravelry group named, 2008 12" Crochet Block-a-Month CAL. You can find the link on my Ravelry page if you're interested. I plan to use cream and 2 shades of blue for my afghan. I will crochet 2 squares of each month for an approximate finished size of 4ft. by 6ft.

I only joined the group a couple of days ago, so I have a little catching up to do. This is my first January square "Dreamcatcher" It is unblocked but the dimensions came out just right. If I can ever figure out how to put things on Flickr, I'll be able to show my progress on Ravelry.

dreamcatcher.jpg

February 05, 2008

Carnival Time

Carnival.jpg

AL Johnson said it best!

The Green Room is smoking, and the Plaza burning down
Throw my baby out the window, let the joint burn down
All because it's carnival time
Well, it's carnival time
Well it's carnival time
Everybody's having fun

The whole street is jumping from one side to the other
The joints are jamming packed, and I'm about to fall
All because it's carnival time
Well, it's carnival time
Well it's carnival time
Everybody's having fun

You bring a nickel, and I'll put a dime
Honk it together now and we can drink some wine
All because it's carnival time

HAPPY MARDI GRAS!!!!

Posted by Angi at 07:24 PM

February 03, 2008

Happy Anniversary!

wedding.jpg

Dear Justin and Sarah,

Wow! It has been 2 years since your wedding day. It seems like all that drama was a lifetime ago.

You are a beautiful testament to what love, marriage, and commitment are supposed to be.

May your love continue to deepen. May this be a year of blessings and joy!