« Blessings | Main | Love is in the Air »

July 21, 2007

A Dye Experiment

I experimented with dyeing wool using Wilton food color.

My plan was to dye 1/2 of my wool with violet and the other 1/2 with blue. I wanted to spin sock yarn with 1 ply of each color.

I soaked the wool in cool water. I dissolved Wilton violet in a cup of warm water. I poured that into my dyepot, which was filled with cool water. Then I added the wool. I poured in 2 cups of vinegar for mordant.

When the vinegar went into the pot, the base colors separated. The wool ended up being a swirl of blue and purple. As I spun some of it, my hands turned red. Someone suggested that I soak the finished skein in salt water to help set the color. Here's a picture of the roving.

violet.jpg

I will just spin it as it is, into 2 ply, and have my violet and blue combination.

I read online where people have had better luck keeping Wilton from separating by soaking roving in vinegar water before dropping it into the dye bath.

Posted by Angi at July 21, 2007 08:13 PM

Comments

no clue about dying but I really like those colors!

Posted by: Kathleen at July 22, 2007 06:27 PM

I did a dye thing last year where I was looking for the colors to separate into their components - took a bump, still rolled up, and soaked it and then dropped it in a dye pot with navy blue. Once it had finished, I rerolled the bump with the still white end out, blue on the inside, and did the other end with a blue-shaded red. The color spread was great, along the same lines as what you have here, in the middle section.

Great colors you have! I think the yarn will be quite lovely.

Posted by: Elizabeth at July 23, 2007 11:11 AM

I adore the way the colors came out. I wanna do that too. They are my favs.

Posted by: Pam at July 24, 2007 09:42 PM