« March 2007 | Main | May 2007 »

April 30, 2007

This from Blacksburg

hokieposter.jpg

Please help if you're so inclined. Deadline for the squares...May 31st, 2007

Please mail squares to:
Mosaic Yarn Shop
880 University City Blvd.
Blacksburg, Va
24060

Crocheted squares are welcome and appreciated as well.

Color choices for squares: Maroon, Burnt Orange, White, Black

Please knit or crochet squares out of the nicest, softest yarn you can afford.

Socks for the girls

Sarah tells me it was about 3 years ago when I went to her house with a new to me catalog from Knit Picks. They had sock yarn at the unheard of price of less than $3.00 a skein! I had her choose a color and promised her a pair of hand knit socks.

Sarah chose a lovely color combination named Snapdragon. I dutifully ordered 2 skeins and cast on. That was the first sock. I believe it was lost on a trip to Virginia. It was ok because I had only knit a couple inches of the cuff. I ordered more Snapdragon.

A second sock was cast on. Something was wrong with that skein of yarn, as it kept breaking. I threw it away and ordered more Snapdragon.

After knitting the third sock almost to the toe, a cup of coffee was knocked off the side table by my chair. Of course, it spilled into the knitting box, containing Sarah's yarn and sock. I ordered more Snapdragon, this time with a few extra skeins. I put it away for awhile.

When Sarah moved here, I told her the sock stories. It turns out they were fighting me because I was knitting full socks. Sarah only wants snapdragon footies.

So, as Miss Chloe would say, TA DA...

100_0799.jpg

The socks are no longer fighting me. With the extra that I bought, I will have enough yarn left over to knit Kaity and Cloe each a pair!

April 24, 2007

Lots and Lots of Bobbles

Meet Bobble, the newest member of the Brashear family.

pup.jpg

He's our new boxer puppy. His original name was Leonidas, but Chloe overruled. She loves the new puppy, and he loves her even more. She fondly calls him Bobble, and the name has stuck.

Speaking of bobbles, I've been working on the Cocktail Capelet from the Spring '07 Interweave Knits.

bobbles.jpg

I'm done with the main body of it, now for the edging. These damn bobbles are trying to kill me. I don't even want to know how many are on this thing.

Since I entered Sockapalooza, I decided to try out some practice socks for myself. And for once, they're working! No heel holes; yeehaw!

heel.jpg

Posted by Sarah at 04:31 PM | Comments (3)

April 23, 2007

Starmore and 6 Degrees with an Appalachian twist

It has been an interesting couple of weeks.

My Sweet Benny got me a copy of Alice Starmore's "The Celtic Collection" Donegal has caught my attention. Take a look at the beautiful finished one over on Nerd Knits As always, I would have to slice it into a cardigan. I'm far too hormonally challenged to leave that much wool on all day!

On television there was a show advertised recently called 6 Degrees. As I understood it, the premise of the story was that there are only 6 Degrees (or people) to connect any two people passing on the street. We had our own 6 Degrees story last week.

My friend Karen has a mom who could rightfully be described as "Love With Skin On". Both Karen and her mom were very supportive of our family during our trials of the last couple of years. They continue to be on Justin and Sarah's side.

Last week, Karen passed an e-mail "Forward" all about Mom's, and how much they love and are willing to sacrifice for their children.

Karen passed it to her friend L.D.
L.D. passed it to her friend C.C.

HERE'S THE APPALACHIAN TWIST!

C.C. passed it to Sarah's mother
Sarah's mother sent it to Sarah
Incredulously, Sarah sent it to me
I e-mailed Karen (thus completing the 6th Degree)

Somehow between Karen, for whom this was a reflection of the love she shares with her mother, and Sarah, it seems the forward became a narcissistic weapon aimed once again to justify actions.

Some things never change. And yet, as Miss Chloe's birthday cake encrusted "I'm One" proclamation depicts below, life moves forward at an amazing pace.

April 2006

100_0229.jpg

April 2007

one.jpg

April 13, 2007

Socks Are Bitches

Hello all. I'm Angi's daughter-in-law Sarah; a spinning, knitting, self-proclaimed hot mom. And I hate knitting socks. So, why join Sockapalooza? Because as much as I hate actually knitting them, I love wearing handknit socks. I'm pretty sure I can knit my way through a pair if I keep imagining the most gorgeous, luscious, absolutely amazing socks that will be coming my way. However, my family and now everyone reading will have to endure my frustration, aggravation, and all too frequent profanity while I knit, rip-out, and re-knit. Oh yes, this will be fun.

Posted by Sarah at 01:07 PM | Comments (3)

April 11, 2007

Sockapalooza 4

Alison has opened sign ups for sockapalooza 4!

Sarah has joined with me. She will use this blog to post her updates too.

So far she and sock knitting have gotten along about as well as Purl and I did when we first met. Purl was a bitch to be brought to submission. Sarah is determined to bring sock knitting down as well!

We have a wedding to attend on Saturday. Since she will be in town, there will be a baby shower for the groom's sister on Sunday. We're finishing Kaity's cardigan for the wedding and a woven baby blanket for the shower. Kaity didn't need the cardigan for Easter since we were having our beautiful Dogwood Winter. So, as usual, I put finishing it off until what now feels like the last minute. Sarah is being so kind as to knit the sleeves for me.

The shower took me by surprise. I had some yardage of black crochet cotton warp and blue boucle weft on the rigid heddle loom. I finished weaving it off. I need to re warp the loom with about 6 yards by 5 inches cotton warp. I bought a complimentary boucle to weave a border. It will probably be finished late Saturday night. But the mom is someone special to us so it's worth it. I'll post pictures when I'm finished.

Posted by Angi at 11:49 PM