« May 2006 | Main | July 2006 »

June 26, 2006

Lemming

Until recently, I have resisted the many attempts of others to pull me into the world of beadwork. I justified my resistance by pointing to the fact that My Sweet Benny regularly showers me with jewels and gold. I have no need to make my own jewelry.

My sockapalooza exchange pal sent me the loveliest beaded stitch markers. My eyes got those cartoon spirals and I was hooked.

Last night was a late one for me and the littles. With Khi's help, I made my first set.

markers.jpg

The colors are much prettier than the scan shows. The large beads are swirls of lavender and white, separated by silver tinted transparent ones.

June 24, 2006

Miracles

I have a new Blog friend Pam. She's a friend of my favorite Twisted Sister.

Pam is Grandma to a brand new set of quaduplets. Go see them here They're Beautiful! Congratulations Pam!

June 22, 2006

Dog Days of Summer

What's up with this heat? The hot and sultry Dog Days of Summer shouldn't have started until next month. But we're melting over here in Southern Ohio.

To feel close to Sarah, Kaity is taking care of Sarah's dog Kiwi. Queen Kiwi is the only one who doesn't seem to be too uncomfortable!

dogdays.jpg

I have finished spinning the yarn for both months of the One Skein Secret Pal Exchange My secret pal expressed an interest in natural colored fiber. For this month I spun about 250 yards of Brownsheep Co. Beast. For next month I spun a Red Barn Rainbows in Northwoods Greens Colorway. I want to find a few little gifts to include in the boxes, and get the first box in the mail tomorrow.

I cast on for a Mohair Pillow from page 69 in the One Skein book, for the August gift. I'm making it with the Flemish and Acapulco motifs, as shown. However, the last time I knit with mohair, my hands itched for a week. So I'm knitting with my favorite Brownsheep Nature Spun. When I finish, I'll brush it with a wire brush to get the "mohair halo".

I had to take a break from knitting the potholder loop rug. The authors knew what they were writing about. That thing is really stiff. It is fighting with my wrist and elbow, and so far it's winning.

Happy Week End!

June 19, 2006

Don't judge a book.......

My friend Marian the Enabler told me I HAD to order a copy of Mason*Dixon Knitting

"NO", said I.

"You HAVE to." she said. "You'll love it!"

I had read all of the hype. I liked that the two authors had met online, just like Marian and I. But, in my eyes, the cover of the book is so UGLY. The blue and white are fine, but the yellow and brown are reminiscent of breastfed baby poop. I just couldn't get past it.

"Just shut up and buy the book.", said she.

Being the obedient lemming that I've become, my copy arrived on Friday.

My friend knows me well. There are several projects I plan to knit from this book. There are some terrific summer knits, in dishcloths and hand towels, but the one that most caught my eye is the Superfancy Potholder Loop Rug

In Mason*Dixon Knitting, the authors write, "This rug is the kind of back-door mat that will withstand a Category 4 hurricane. It is the stoutest thing ever knitted. When a meteor hits Earth, this rug will remain as the lone clue to a lost civilization."

In order to fulfill his civic duty, Khi spent this evening connecting the first bag of Wal-Mart cotton potholder loops.

loops.jpg

Knitting will commence in the morning.

Thanks to Marian, our civilization will forever be remembered!

June 15, 2006

Graduation

graduation.jpg

My first born was honored Tuesday night at his graduation by being inducted into the National Honor Society.

Along with this honor came the required SPEECH! He was really nervous but he did a great job! Congratulations Jon'o. We're very proud of you, and happy for you about your accomplishments!

June 12, 2006

Summer Spin Off

I rarely spend more than 15 minutes with Spin Off when it arrives. Just when I was considering not renewing, this issue has two projects that I will make.

The first one to catch my eye is the Crochet Bag for holding yarn on page 86. The story goes, as the writer was in Sweden visiting relatives, a cousin gave her a crocheted family heirloom bag, used to hold a ball of yarn on your wrist while knitting.

I love heirlooms. I love passing and receiving possessions that hold sentiment from one generation to another.

I'm crocheting one of these bags from the first silk skein I ever spun.

This is the first side, unblocked.
spinoffbag.jpg

My gauge is different because of my yarn choice. So I crocheted through round 7. Then I crocheted 8 loops of round 8. On the second side I'll duplicate the first. Then, I'll continue the loops of round 8 connecting to the first side. I'll crochet the wrist band pretty much as written.

The second project I'm interested in from this Spin Off issue is the felted beaded coin purse on page 58.

The women from my church have formed a Knitting Guild. I'm teaching them to knit with Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting Workshop. I think we'll knit the beaded felted coin purse next. Though, we'll use commercial yarn and felt it after knitting.

June 03, 2006

The Meeting

Somewhere between "Just one more push" and hearing the first cry, you find that a piece of your heart has moved out of your own body and is living in the most perfect little creation of God. Then, if you're lucky enough, that piece of your heart divides again and lives in another example of God's perfect love.

Though I've yet to hold her in my own arms, something nearly as wonderful happened today! Kaity and Khi were allowed a 10 minute meeting to see and hold their niece for the first time.

100_0238 (2).jpg

They were really excited while getting ready to go, but were emotional when they got home. They love Chloe so much. They said the time together felt like the blink of an eye.

We went shopping this evening. I'm planning to crochet the bag for holding yarn in the latest Spin Off, out of handspun silk. I didn't have the correct size crochet hook, so we went to Hobby Lobby. In the same shopping center, a Petland was having it's opening day. To cheer the littles up, Benny and I decided to take them in for a look around. We left home to buy a 99 cent crochet hook and came home with a 99 dollar cockatiel.

Yep, it's been a good day.