« Happy Thanksgiving | Main | Christmas Show »

November 30, 2005

A Birth Story

Meet Makayla Jaye!

Makayla (2).jpg

Makayla was born this afternoon at 1:38. She is 5 lbs. 13 oz., 20" long and the picture of health.

I met her mom and dad a little over a year ago at circus. As a circus performer, Makayla's mom knows how to make her body do what she wants it to do. I knew this going in, but I was totally amazed today. It was a Doula's delight!

This was the mom's first baby. When she was 9.5cm with only a small lip remaining, the nurse had us help her onto her side. She said that gentle pushing would be fine.

I encouraged the mom to close her eyes and go inside herself. She began pushing gently with each contraction. There were none of those, grunting from your toenails, hanging in the stirrups, fear filled power pushes that usually happen during first births.

We kept the room dim and still. With each contraction, she helped her little girl down the birth canal.

The nurse is used to the "typical" non-doula first baby delivery. So when the dad went out, after only about 45 minutes and said, "I think the baby's coming". The nurse didn't come right away. By the second time dad went out and asked again, the nurse came in to find little Makayla crowning and ready to be welcomed onto her Mommy's belly!

The doctor found that, since Makayla's birth had been so gentle, mom had only one small skin tear.

This was the most peaceful and joyful birth I have had the honor of attending. It spoke well of the benefits of doula support, in an area where until recently doulas were unheard of.

Posted by Angi at November 30, 2005 08:56 PM

Comments

Makayla is a little beauty.

Posted by: Chiame at November 30, 2005 11:24 PM

Good job, angi! Congratulations! I can never get over the amazing fact that new babies come out of women's bodies. Beautiful little girl.

Posted by: Abby at December 1, 2005 07:28 AM

Beautiful. What a gift!

Posted by: Kathleen at December 1, 2005 09:04 AM

What a beautiful little girl. You certainly do a good job, Angi.

Posted by: Charleen at December 1, 2005 10:22 PM

Before reading the miracle of the birth of one of God's glorious new creations, I just needed to scroll back to your site's March 2004 entry about my Josh's Homegoing.
To really absorb the beauty of this little bundle of Life, I looked at my Joshie's picture at the top of newspaper article spreading the word of him passing through the Door that stands between all of us and the Presence of God.
Don't we have things a little mixed up?
Why don't newspapers put pictures of God's Blessings in their papers heralding the arrival of our precious babies into the world, too?
God knows that we Christians could really begin praying with fervor for these tiny ones who have just been born.
How I wish that someone as loving and gentle as you had been beside me when Nathan and Josh were born.
My Love and Joy that You Are My Beautiful Cousin,