« November 2004 | Main | January 2005 »

December 29, 2004

SOCKA-PAL-OOZA

For those of you who enjoy exchanges, check out Alison's socka-pal-ooza

The quiet after the rush

Christmas was wonderful here! The kids all had a great time. Now we're resting and enjoying the break from school and circus.

The broken water main put me behind with my baking gifts. So we plan to go around on Friday with New Year's goodies for our friends!

We had to stay in a hotel for a couple of days because of not having water. We made a mini vacation out of it. The kids enjoyed the indoor swimming pool.

Benny ordered this yarn for me from Elann.

Boysenberry.JPG

I'm knitting Michele Wyman's Casual Cables Cardigan. I've knit about 4 inches so far. I'm knitting it in the round and will split it when I'm finished, ala Elizabeth Zimmermann. I need to take it off the needle soon to double check that the size is correct. This is my second time to start this sweater. The first one was out of a cotton rayon blend yarn. I didn't get very far. I think that yarn will be woven into a baby blanket.

I'm off to make toffee for a gift basket. Enjoy the rest of the holiday!

December 24, 2004

Our Newest Addition

Bingle.jpg

This is Benny's Christmas gift from Jonathan and Justin. He named it Bingle after the Maison Blanche Mr. Bingle

Benny's last Iguana, Gumbo, died a couple of years ago of old age. She was about 5 feet long. Benny didn't realize how much he enjoyed or missed having an iguana until Bingle showed up.

December 22, 2004

When it rains....

We're expecting the "Winter Storm of the Decade" here at Casa De Doula! It would be wonderful fun, but the water main in front of our house burst today. They said they'll try to have out water back on for Christmas!!!

December 17, 2004

Happy Birthday Roxanne

I miss you
Rocky (2).jpg

December 15, 2004

A Birthday Story

My friend Roxanne died in June. I didn't write about it here because, until now, just thinking about it took my breath away.

My birthday is today. Roxanne's was on December 17th. For 15 years we celebrated together. When we lived in Louisiana, we ate fudge cake on the 16th. After she moved to Indiana and we moved to Ohio, we would meet the week-end before our birthdays in Cincinnati to eat and shop together.

A couple of times since moving, Roxanne would come here to my town to surprise me for my birthday. She would find out from my kids where I was, and show up at the Christmas party or store or wherever, with a huge smile on her face and roses for me.

Friday was a cold and rainy day. My mood matched. The trees here have long lost all of their leaves and most everything is brown. When I went outside, there on my otherwise brown rose bush was a green stem holding a perfect single red rose. I've looked around and it's the only bush with a rose in town.

RoxanneRose.JPG

December 09, 2004

Amish Friendship Bread

One of the gifts we're sharing with friends this year is Amish Friendship Bread. I started my starter a couple of weeks ago and baked the first batch tonight.

We give the bread as gifts but don't pass the starter along with it. My son calls that a Fatty Food Chain Letter. I hate it when people give me gifts with work or expectation attached. I've killed almost every house plant I was ever given. The others were eaten by and almost killed the cats.

Here's the recipe.

(When you start it fresh, begin on day 6. Do days 7-10 but do not bake. Then begin with the starter you've just made and go through days 1-10 and bake on the 10th day. I don't make mine in a ziplock bag. I always use a plastic butter bowl and stir. Just don't stir with a metal spoon.)

DO NOT USE METAL SPOON OR BOWL FOR MIXING
DO NOT REFRIGERATE
IF AIR BUILDS UP IN THE BAG LET IT OUT
BATTER WILL THICKEN, BUBBLE, AND FERMENT

Day 1: This is the day you receive the batter ~ Do Nothing

Days 2 - 5: Squeeze the bag

Day 6: Add 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of sugar, and 1 cup of milk

Days 7 - 9: Squeeze the bag

Day 10: combine in a large bowl, the batter, 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of sugar, and 1 cup of milk. Mix with wooden spoon or spatula. Pour 4 - 1 cup starters in gallon sized zip lock bags. Keep 1 starter for yourself. Give the other three starters to your friends, along with these instructions. To the remaining batter in the bowl, ADD:

1 cup oil
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 Large box vanilla instant pudding
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup chopped pecans

Pour into well greased and sugared little loaf pans. Bake at 325F for 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

December 07, 2004

One of those days

AzaleaBijoux.JPG
Some days you're the CAT
and
Some days you're the HAMSTER!!!

December 05, 2004

Rest!

rest.jpg
It has been a long week-end of circus fun. We're all enjoying a nice restful evening, before we begin next week's performances.

I'm knitting on my angels. I had hoped to have 2 ready for blocking this week-end. I still have the skirts and heads to finish.

December 04, 2004

Christmas shows

This week end there are 3 Christmas shows for my older 3 kids.
The show is an original story written by one of the students about a penniless orphanage during the Victorian Era. The circus comes to town and their performance becomes the children's Christmas celebration.

Kaity is an angel dancing to the Trans Siberian Orchestra's rendition of Christmas Cannon in D. It leaves chill bumps on spectators and tears in the parent's eyes.

Jonathan and Justin are chimney sweeps. Theirs is an acrobatic display.
Christmaskids (2).JPG
Khi is an audience member this week end. He will perform in a show on the 18th.

December 02, 2004

Plans

I'm a spinner. I knit and crochet. I used to spend countless hours with cross stitch in hand. But the one thing I've always wanted to do is weave really well. I'm fascinated at the sight of weaving pictures shared by Alfred, Carolyn, and Charleen.

I have all the toys to begin. I have a Harrisville T6. I also have an Ashford 8H Table loom and Rigid Heddle loom

They've all held a warp or two. But not many finished projects. My problem has always been not having a comfortable place to weave. This year for my birthday (Dec 15)/Christmas gift, Benny has agreed to make me a fiber studio! We have a room in the basement that is filled with boxes. He's going to de-clutter it, throw down some rugs, and run a cable for television that completely bypasses all cartoon channels!

Now, anyone have a wonderful idea for my first project? I want it to be something special for Benny since he's going to be doing all the work for me.

December 01, 2004

Milestone

glass.gif

According to the Movable Type counter, this is my 100th blog entry!