« August 2004 | Main | October 2004 »

September 29, 2004

Adagio

We've begun a new circus season.

The teenagers are more involved than ever, taking 4 classes a week and working as assistant instructors about 15 hours each.

Khi still has only one class each week. Kaity moved up to Matinee Troupe, with 2 classes. Tonight they began teaching the Matinees moves for Adagio dances.

They first teach them on the floor. This is Kaity being held by Justin, as the director looks on.
Adagio (2).jpg Later, they performed the same trick, with Justin standing with his right arm straight out and Kaity on her back, on his shoulder, as he spun in a circle. It was lovely!

September 22, 2004

Grandpa's Slippers pattern

My sainted Grandfather was a plumber. When I was growing up, Grandpa worked on the pipes in the home of an elderly lady who had no money. Every Christmas, as payment for his services, she would knit a pair of slippers for each of my cousins and me.

My grandfather died in 1984. I still have the last pair of slippers he gave me. They're worn and stained, but a treasure to me.

slipper 002 (2).jpg

slipper 003 (2).jpg

I've decided to knit some for Christmas gifts this year. Here's the pattern I came up with.

Worsted weight yarn (hold 2 strands together)

4sts= 1" garter st

CO 29

Odd rows, Knit

Even rows k 9, p 1, k 9, p 1, k 9

repeat odd and even rows for 6"

switch to p 1, k 1 ribbing for about 3 1/2 inches

thread yarn onto tapestry needle and run through all the live sts, drawing the row up into a circle

fold the rectangle lengthwise so that the p 1 lines become the fold edges

Kitchener stitch (or even just whip stitch) the edges of the ribbing together (this forms the toe of the slipper)

Stitch cast on edge together to form the heel

crochet shell stitch around opening and top with pom pom

September 12, 2004

The President

As I said before, seeing the President of the United States was perhaps a once in a lifetime opportunity.
PresidentBush.jpg
Zell Miller came along to introduce him.

Aside from just being there and getting caught up in the excitement, the best part was where we were seated.

There was a lady in a wheel chair in front of us. She wore a WWII Veteran American Legion hat. She was so excited it looked like she could have jumped out of her skin!

There was a musician hired to warm up the crowd. As he sang, the WWII lady sang along, loud and strong. She waved her Veterans for Bush sign high above her head. She cheered as they showed the motorcade arriving, on overhead screens. And as our President was introduced, she solemnly locked the wheels of her chair, and stood in respect, as she applauded.

That's the kind of patriotism and respect I was raised with. I'm glad my children were there to witness it and participate as well.

September 08, 2004

Field Trip

We're going on our first field trip of the year on Friday. We got tickets for the whole family to attend a Republican rally and see President Bush. Even if we were Dems I think I would want to take our kids to the rally. It's not often that one has the opportunity to see the President of the United States of America. My oldest son will be a first time voter this year. What a great way to get excited about the democratic process!

September 07, 2004

First Day of School

From Kaity's journal:

"Today is the first day of school. We can't find the books!"

It turned out to be a good day in spite of missing books and a malfunctioning pencil sharpener. There are enough "Enrichment" activities online that a child could be educated without spending a dime on curricula. Poor kids. I found more than their fair share today.

September 05, 2004

Sewing

There's something about the beginning of fall that makes me want to sew. Carolyn and Charleen have been making beautiful outfits lately.

The Singer sewing machine turned out to be a 1925. I have a 1929 Singer as well. The machine that I use is just a regular Singer with the typical bells and whistles.

I have some Lizzy McGuire patterns that Kaity wants. I'll probably start with those. I want to make them special for her. I've been eyeing the Brother Applique Station since I first heard about it. They used to be a couple of hundred dollars, but someone has them listed on EBAY for about fifty.

My dream is to weave cloth and make a coat for myself. Right now I'm spinning some Beast for the warp. I have some Shetland to spin for the weft. I'll dye them and weave them SOMEDAY!

In the meantime we're having a peaceful Labor Day week end. We're spending time as a family. Our town has fireworks tonight that, according to the Hooterville Times, will be SPECTACULAR ! Can't wait!

September 02, 2004

New (to me) Sewing Machine

The past week and week end found us at the circus studio getting ready for a huge yard sale. In the end the circus director proclaimed, "That's the hardest I've ever worked for $500.00" It couldn't have been an exaggeration.

I don't know how to "do" a yard sale. The pricing, setting up, and taking down is horrible. Then, it just looks like a huge mess. I rooted through things and found nothing good. But at the check out, I was amazed by the beautiful things I saw coming through. How do people see through the mounds of nothing and find the pearls?

My oh so considerate 16 year old spotted this machine when it was first brought in. He scooped it for me!
Singer 001.jpg

I have a 1929 Singer that was not electric. I assume this one is newer because it is electric. The plate on the base reads AA690272. The motor has CATALOG B.U. 7-E, motor number 4 52584. There is no light. It came with several hem attachments and a ruffler. It is missing the power cord but my electrician husband believes we can get around that. Anyone know how to find the manufacturing date for one of these machines?