« March 2004 | Main | May 2004 »

April 30, 2004

Shawl Knitting News

I received the cotton from Rose this week, and I have cast on for the Fir Cone Shawl. It's beautiful!

The center square of the shawl has a beautiful pattern but is knit back and forth. Purl and I are well acquainted but we're not the best of friends. Knitting the square according to the directions would have taken me a long time. It would have likely become another UFO.

So, I enlisted the help of the Thrillers and found directions for knitting a square in the round. I started from the middle with 2 sts on each of 4 dpn's. I was too hormonal and the needles kept slipping out as I knitted the increases.

My friend Marian suggested that I start with the outer perimeter of the square, decreasing at the 4 corners and knit my way to the middle.

So, I cast on 612 sts, placing markers every 153. I'm knitting the pattern on the odd rows and knitting decreases at the corners on the even rows. The only change this will make in the pattern is, instead of all the fir cones going in the same direction, they're going from the four sides, pointing toward the middle. The positioning will be easier for me to keep track of, while decreasing rather than adding them with increases.

April 23, 2004

Happy Day!

So I'm whining to my friend Rose this morning about how bored I am with the Cables and Columns Cardigan and how I really want to make the Fir Cone Shawl. Or at least add it to my "Started" collection. But I can't spend a lot of $ on that when I'm waiting on Khi's yarn and I want a big silver Border Leister fleece from her sheep Brenda. And I have a conference in May, and on and on.

We talked about how much the shawl would cost in various yarns that I saw on her website. Then the miraculous happened! Rose found the Perfect cone of variegated blue cotton, on her shelf for me. It will make the shawl even more lovley than I had imagined. And the best part~ $20.00!

This is why I love to buy from people with their own business, but particularly from Rose. She has been in business a long time and evidently has quite a supply stash. She always manages to find just the right yarn/fiber/whatever, even if what I need isn't part of her regularly advertised merchandise.

Here's the picture of the shawl from Folk Shawls

FirConeShawl (2).jpg

April 22, 2004

Knitting ADD

I think I have knitting ADD. Is there a support group?

I'm waiting on the Brownsheep yarn for Khi's tomten. I didn't really want to spend more $ on another project, so I picked up the Casual Cables again. After only a few days, I've had enough of it. I still haven't finished the diva socks for my cousin.

I have so many UFO's that most of them will have to be ripped out because I don't remember which needles, or the measurements. Some of them have been outgrown before being finished.

And now I find the Scottish, Fir Cone Square Shawl, from Folk Shawls calling my name. I imagine it on the porch swing in the fall, with wiggly children snuggled underneath, and draped over my shoulders on chilly mornings.

Maybe I'll start spinning some mohair for it. Who knows? By the end of the spinning, it may turn into something else!

Whoever coined the phrase "So much fiber, So little time!" knew what they were talking about.

April 21, 2004

Dogwoods in Springtime

Dogwood.jpg

I'm not a fan of hot weather. I'm only ok to about 75 degrees F. Spring and summer are seasons to be endured until the "good" time of year comes back. Having said that, there is something I love about springtime. We live where dogwood trees bloom more beautifully than any other place I've seen. Most yards in my neighborhood have at least one.

Ours is special. When my son turned 11, my favorite aunt took him by the hand. She told him, "You're not going to like the birthday present I have for you right now. But years from now, when I'm gone, I hope you'll enjoy it." With that, she gave him a dogwood sapling that had sprung up from the tree in her front yard.

That was almost 5 years ago. My aunt is still with us in body, though dementia has claimed her mind. My son is about to turn 16. He really loves his tree now. He corrects me every time I call it "my" or even "the" dogwood tree.

The casual cables are coming along. However, as I said earlier, I started it before I was ready. I misread the chart. So instead of cables separated by p2,k2,p2, I have p2,k4,p2. The result is the newly designed "Casual Cables and Columns"!

April 16, 2004

Casual Cables

Annie was looking for a cardigan to knit for her mother. I suggested Michele Wyman's Casual Cables Cardigan as a beautiful one, perfect for cotton blends.

I started CC a few years ago with a cotton/rayon blend. I was new to knitting and quite slow. I quickly tired of it and cast it aside.

I'm still waiting for Khi's scarlet yarn. I decided to pull the cardigan out for another go. Since the first try, I've learned to knit sweaters in the round, slicing the front for cardigans. Purl and I aren't the best of friends. Knitting in the round eliminates the rows and rows of her.

So I joined the work, I began so long ago as a flat piece, into a round, and I'm off!
CasualCables.jpg
It's fun to begin a "new" project with 5" of knitting already behind me!

April 14, 2004

new projects

I need a new knitting project. I have some Brownsheep yarn on order for a new Scarlet Tomten Jacket for Khi, from Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting Workshop. The yarn is back ordered.

I'm still knitting the diva socks for myself and my cousin. They are getting boring. While I was knitting a heel, I wondered if the s1,k1 pattern would make a nice thick jacket. I'm thinking of a blue tweed with worsted weight?

Opinions please.

April 13, 2004

Equal Time

When I last wrote about my husband's new goat, I neglected to mention that Justin got a duckling at the same Trade Days. He is so proud of his as yet to be named pet.
duck.jpg
Though it would appear to the contrary, we do not live on a farm. In fact we don't even live outside city limits. Our lot is only about 45'x120' and our house fills most of it.

I guess being the family with the odd pets suits us though. The average family here has 2 children before surgical sterilization. We have 6 kids. We're the only Homeschool family for miles. And we're one of the few families here involved in circus art.

Patsy Clairmont wrote a book entitled "Normal is Just a Setting on Your Dryer!" I like the way that woman thinks!

April 11, 2004

Lilly

Yesterday we went to our local "Trade Days" at the fairgrounds. My husband bought a little pigmy goat. Since it's Easter, the kids named her Lilly. She's more like a dog than a goat. She cries whenever we leave her alone. But if anyone, especially my daughter is beside her, she is completely content.
Lilly (2).jpg
It amuses me that my New Orleans born and raised husband finds pleasure in such odd pets. Before Lilly, he had an Iguana. It started out yard lizard size and grew to over 4 ft. long.

Buzzards, Bats, Bumblebees and People

A friend in Arizona sent this to me. It's a great message for today.

BUZZARD: If you put a buzzard in a pen that is 6 feet by 8 feet and is entirely open at the top, the bird, in spite of its ability to fly, will be an absolute prisoner. The reason is that a buzzard always begins a flight from the ground with a run of 10 to 12 feet. Without space to run, as is its habit, it will not even attempt to fly, but will remain a prisoner for life in a small jail with no top.

BATS: The ordinary bat that flies around at night, a remarkably nimble creature in the air, cannot take off from a level place. If it is placed on the floor or flat ground, all it can do is shuffle about helplessly and, no doubt, painfully, until it reaches some slight elevation from which it can throw itself into the air. Then, at once, it takes off like a flash.

BUMBLEBEE: A bumblebee, if dropped into an open tumbler, will be there until it dies, unless it is taken out. It never sees the means of escape at the top, but persists in trying to find some way out through the sides near the bottom. It will seek a way where none exists, until it completely destroys itself.

PEOPLE: In many ways, there are lots of people like the buzzard, the bat, and the bumblebee. They are struggling about with all their problems and frustrations, not ever realizing that the answer is right there "Above" them.

Happy Easter!

April 07, 2004

I'm Baaaack

What a very odd month March turned out to be. I haven't had the time, energy, or even desire to post to my blog.

My neighbor Maria died on March 25. Her niece, my husband, and I were with her. It was so strange for me. Two weeks before her death, Maria was just the odd little lady that lived next door. We didn't know her. I was surprised when her niece called me from the hospital saying she wanted me to come there.

Over the next 2 weeks, Maria became someone Benny and I love. We wish we had been able to know her longer, but her distrust of others kept her isolated, the last few years of her life. We all have many parts to play in life. I guess our part with Maria was to let her know that though she was dying, someone wanted her to live.

On March 23, Benny had an accident at work that resulted in a broken wrist. It's really painful but we're lucky his hand wasn't severed from his arm.

Now we're in April! I'm choosing to look forward instead of back. I have a couple of prospective clients. I'm going to an exciting doula conference in May. And I finally finished knitting Kaity's Spring sweater!!! I only need to sew on the zipper. I'll take a picture tomorrow. I look forward to getting back to reading everyone's blogs on a regular basis. I'm looking for inspiration for my next knitting project.