« A magical night | Main | Bowling »

March 02, 2004

Josh

My favorite cousin buried her baby yesterday. He was 23 but he was her baby.

Since Sunday night, I have watched with amazement, the grace and dignity exhibited by my beautiful cousin, as she kindly and gently received visitors and phone calls. Though her heart is broken beyond measure, her strength of character and faith will see her through.

Please read now about Josh, and in his mother's words, "Never take for granted, and always appreciate your own sound mental health." Mental illness is the most cruel of diseases.

BROWN, Joshua Wayne

Josh.jpg

Joshua Wayne Brown, 23, of Buena Vista Farm, Pulaski, Va., chose to be with his Lord on the 26th day of February 2004. He was the son of Robert W. and Karen B. Brown of Pulaski. He is survived by his parents; brother and sister-in-law, Nathan Kelly and Cari Wyatt Brown of Norwich, Conn.; paternal grandfather, Frank W. Brown of Pulaski; maternal grandparents, Carl and Virginia Buckland of Radford; uncle and aunt, Mark S. and Becky H. Buckland of Dublin; aunts, Susan E. Buckland of Houston, Texas and Margaret B. Stevens of Pulaski; and several cousins. Joshua was a victim of the ravages of a medical condition known as Schizo-Affective Disorder. He was a gifted musician and singer who had farmers hands and loved his cows and especially his two devoted beagles, Buddy and Bongo. He was a member of Draper's Valley Presbyterian Church. Joshua completed two years of study at Roanoke College, where he was a member of the a cappella group "Listening For An Echo". Joshua "fought the good fight, he finished the course, he kept the faith". IITimothy 4:7

Posted by Angi at March 2, 2004 10:18 PM

Comments

So very sorry to read this, what a tragic loss.

Posted by: Amber at March 3, 2004 12:43 AM

Angi, I am so sorry for you and your family's grief. To lose a child is the absolute worst thing I can imagine... My computer keeps crashing and I am unable to e-mail, and a lot of other things...The hard-drives going. I got your phone message. Please try again. I love you. dee

Posted by: dee at March 3, 2004 12:47 AM

we didnt know about the lose of your friend. parents arnt supost to lose kids, its just not suspost to happen. i lost my best friend at 17. we feel your pain. our prayers are with you.

Posted by: eric & tina at March 3, 2004 01:13 AM

My thoughts are with you and your family. May your family find some peace at this most difficult time.

Posted by: Kathleen at March 3, 2004 06:25 AM

Angi; I'm so sorry about Joshua.

Helen

Posted by: Helen at March 3, 2004 10:11 AM

Angi- I am so sorry about your cousin's son. What a terrible loss. I'm sure he is at peace now. I hope his parents and family are able to find some comfort in this awful time.

Posted by: Annie at March 3, 2004 01:07 PM

Oh, Angi, I have a beautiful 21 year old son Joshua and this just hit me like a ton of bricks. My thoughts and prayers are with you, your sister, and your families, as you go through this tragedy.

Posted by: Charleen at March 3, 2004 09:19 PM

I am so sorry for your family's loss. Peace...

Posted by: Valerie at March 5, 2004 04:51 PM

You are the beautiful cousin! Coming to Virginia to be with me during these two days meant more to me than words will ever express.
This site will always be treasured by our whole family.
God bless you for putting my "baby's" life before so many people. Someday when much more healing has taken place, my life's mission will be to educate anyone who will listen to the brutal suffering mentally ill people endure. We'll see where God leads in the years ahead.
Thanks for being my very special cousin.
Karen

Posted by: karen at March 18, 2004 05:34 PM

I knew Josh and he was an amazing individual. He sincerely touched my life with his love and care. He was an incredibly talented person and now he is singing and playing his guitar for the Lord. I am a better person for knowing him and my prayers are with you and the rest of your family during this time.

Posted by: Gretchen at March 19, 2004 07:35 PM

Thanks for helping me get to know Josh a little better. I love his mother dearly and admire her gentleness and understanding. She was always Josh's advocate...in good time and in bad.

Posted by: Helene at March 22, 2004 09:20 PM

What a wonderful tribute to this beautifully talented young man. I share keenly in Karen and Bobby's grief, and regret that I never had the opportunity to meet Josh.
Alise