« January 2004 | Main | March 2004 »

February 25, 2004

A magical night

Khi lost his front tooth this evening.
ToothFairy.jpg
I was the first one of my friends to loose my front tooth. It seemed so important then. Khi seems to be the last one to loose his. He couldn't care less. He just wants the tooth fairy money. He thinks he's rich already. His daddy gives him all the shiny pennies.

Khi wants to sleep in dad's chair with him, so when the tooth fairy comes he can thank her! I just hope Benny can get out of the chair, to go upstairs, without waking him!
Sleeping.jpg
I love watching my children as they experience the magic of childhood!

February 23, 2004

The Gift

I got the most amazing gift tonight and it's not even my birthday!

My cousin is going through all of her mother's tattered and worn recipe cards. She prefers everything to be new and neat. So, she is typing them all out on new cards.

I visited her this evening. I saw the cards she was finished with, in a pile on the counter. I asked. She was planning to throw them away. So I fulfilled my familial duty and rescued them from the certainty of their recycled doom.

To me, these cards are a treasure. Aside from the fact they're all written in my aunt's or occasionally a friend of my aunt's handwriting, there are recipes here from the kitchens of women who passed many years ago. Some are particularly worn and stained. Those are the ones I'll try first.

Speaking of recipes, since tomorrow is Mardi Gras Day, here is the King Cake recipe I wrote about awhile back.

king_cake.jpg
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/3 cup warm water (110-115F)
2 packages dry yeast
3 eggs
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
4 1/2- 5 cups bread flour
1 king cake baby doll

Combine first 4 ingredients. Scald and cool to lukewarm. Disolve yeast in the warm water. Add the milk mixture, eggs. lemon rind, nutmeg, and 2 cups of the flour. Beat until smooth. Add the remaining flour, 1 cup at a time. transfer dough to a floured board. Knead 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a greased bowl, turn over and cover with a damp cloth. Let the dough rise in a warm place until double. Punch down and knead for 5 minutes. Divide dough into thirds. Roll each piece into a strip 28-30 inches long. Braid the strips and shape into an oval on a greased baking sheet. Secure ends and secure baby doll into the dough. Cover to rise until double. Bake at 375F for 20 minutes or until golden. Cool and frost with confectioner's sugar glaze. Sprinkle while wet with alternating stripes of purple, green , and gold sugars.

February 22, 2004

Mud Puddles and Dandelions

A friend sent this to me today. I hope you enjoy it.

Big Mud Puddles and Sunny Yellow Dandelions
(Author Unknown)

When some folks look at a patch of dandelions, they see a bunch of weeds that are going to take over the yard.
Kids see flowers for Mom and blowing white fluff you can wish on.

When some folks look at an old drunk and he smiles at them, they see a smelly, dirty person who probably wants money and they look away.
Kids see someone smiling at them and they smile back.

When some folks hear music they love, they know they can't carry a tune and don't have much rhythm so they sit self-consciously and listen.
Kids feel the beat and move to it. They sing out the words. If they don't know them, they make up their own.

When some folks feel wind on their face, they brace themself against it. They feel it messing up their hair and pulling them back when they walk.
Kids close their eyes, spread their arms and fly with it, until they fall to the ground laughing.

When some folks pray, they say thee and thou and grant me this, give me that.
Kids say, "Hi God! Thanks for my toys and my friends. Please keep the bad dreams away tonight. Sorry, I don't want to go to Heaven yet. I would miss my Mommy and Daddy."

When some folks see a mud puddle they step around it. They see muddy shoes and dirty carpets.
Kids sit in it. They see dams to build, rivers to cross, and worms to play with.

I wonder if we are given kids to teach or to learn from? No wonder God loves the little children!
Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.

I wish you Big Mud Puddles and Sunny Yellow Dandelions!!!

February 20, 2004

A Doula Day

This morning I accompanied L to a Doctor's gyn check. L is my most favorite client. I've had the privilege of attending both of her births. Births with her family are always exciting. At her first birth, there were about 20 family members and friends in the birthing room. As the baby crowned, the atmosphere became quite pep rally like. The excitement built until baby girl emerged, among cheers and tears! We all should be so blessed to have that much love and support. At her second birth, there were only 12 of us in the birthing room, but the love was so thick you could almost see it. Baby boy's life was as celebrated as his sister's had been 13 months earlier.

After L's appointment, I went into a prenatal visit with C. She had not received any prenatal care up to this point. The baby measured, during ultrasound, to be 18+ weeks. C was alone. She looked frightened. She had no smile.

The contrast between the 2 clients was enormous, and yet L and C are lifelong friends.

I'm coming to realize that L is the exception. Since I'm mostly supporting very young women, I'm sure that most of my clients will be C's.

When I came home, I called and registered for the Advanced Teen Support Certification program, through CAPPA . I need to learn how to most effectively support these vulnerable young women. I'm spending as much time as I can, talking with, and mostly listening to what they have to say. They have a lot to say. Most of them just have nobody to listen.

February 18, 2004

Kaity Played too!

Kaity's results:

Woodstock
You are Woodstock!

Which Peanuts Character are You?
brought to you by Quizilla

I Love Lucy!

Benny's results:

Lucy
You are Lucy!

Which Peanuts Character are You?
brought to you by Quizilla

A new day

Thank you for the kind remarks and e-mails regarding yesterday's post. I'll pass your thoughts and good wishes on.

I haven't had much knitting progress lately. I decided, after turning the heel, that the diva sock was too big around. So I frogged it and cast on again. I am now about to turn the heel for a second time. The cashmere silk blend is turning out even nicer than I imagined.

Kaity's sweater is knit up to the sleeves, in the round. Then I split the front and back. The back is finished and the front is up to the neck shaping. It is getting warm faster than I expected. I need to hurry along with this one.

I found this survey on KatyKnits blog and thought it was cute. I'm not sure what I think of my results. I'm going to have Benny fill in his answers after while. Who was Marcie's best friend?

Marcie
You are Marcie!

Which Peanuts Character are You?
brought to you by Quizilla

February 17, 2004

Humbled

My whine of a little while ago is so ridiculous now that I removed most of it. Justin worked at a camp last summer. We just got this message from the Administrative Assistant about the Maintenance Director's wife.

***************************************************
Tammy has somewhere between level 3 and level 4 cancer in her breast and it
has spread to many vital organs, including her liver. The cancer is beyond
surgery and the family is considering radiation. Please pray for a miracle
and God's grace on the family and the staff as we deal with this serious
situation.

She is headed home tonight to be with the family. Tammy has been a part of
the Scioto Hills staff for 26 years and has four children, Abby age 12,
Cassie age 10, Josiah age 4 and Emma age 2. Tammy's husband Dan has served as the Maintenance Director for 18 years.

**************************************************

If you're so inclined, please pray for Tammy. How humbling to realize how quickly our lives can change.

Blah......

The kids have been doing some art projects. The littles are painting. Justin sculpted silly putty men. This one suits my mood today.
SillyPuttyMan.jpg

February 15, 2004

Valentine's Date

Yesterday, after doing the traditional hearts, flowers and candy with our kids, my husband and I drove two hours to Cincinnati for a Valentine's date. It was so nice to get away for the day.

We went to the movie to see Calendar Girls. I had wanted to see it since I first heard about it. But it will probably never make it to this particular part of the world.

The movie was everything I had expected and more. It took a few minutes for my ears to adjust to the accents. The story of making the calendar was a good one, but the real story was a beautiful one of enduring friendship between two women.

After the movie, we went to the adjacent mall (another treat for us!) Then we ate steaks at one of our favorite restaurants in Cincinnati.

It was a good day. Hope yours was too!

February 12, 2004

First Date

This is the 10th anniversary of our first date. That night, Benny took me to Mike Schaffer's Seafood restaurant. We were both really nervous but ended up having a wonderful time.

To commemorate the night, I made the closest thing to a seafood platter I could put together in Southern Ohio. I made fried shrimp, whiting, perch, and catfish (Pronounced Cat FEESH in Southern Ohio). I also made coleslaw, french fries, onion rings, and tartar sauce. I bought red sauce and the closest thing to french bread I could find. For dessert, I made warm brownie sundaes.

Later, we'll have champagne.

February 11, 2004

New Book

The new knitting book I've been waiting for is finally here!

I ordered Viking patterns For Knitting on January 26 from a seller on Half.com and paid for "Expedited Shipping". Just 2 1/2 weeks later its finally here!!!

I'm thinking of knitting the Fjorgyn hooded jacket from some handspun Silver Border Leister
Fjorgyn.jpg

I was going to knit the Aran coat in one of Elizabeth Zimmermann's books. But it was pointed out to me that the pattern is for a very small coat. The mental acrobatics required to change it enough to suit me, were too much for my hormonally challenged brain at this time. The Fjorgyn is roomy already. Depending on how much yarn I have, I may make mine longer without ribbing. And I'll add cuffs.

I'm off to knit on my Diva Socks of yesterday's yarn.

February 10, 2004

Yarn

I just finished the first skein of cashmere/silk sock yarn.
SockYarn.jpg
It is soooo soft. I plan to visit a fabric store this week end and pick up a spool of silk sewing thread. I'll carry it along with the yarn to reinforce the heels and toes.

February 09, 2004

Spinning a Cloud

My cashmere arrived today from Rose!

Cashmere.jpg

I will spin a laceweight single and ply it with rainbow dyed tussah silk. I plan to knit it into some wonderful socks.

On Monday we have vision therapy and then 2 circus classes. I try to make dinner ahead. Today, pork roast is in the crock pot and the littles are skipping their circus class. So I get to spin cashmere in front of the Westminster Kennel Club dog show on television!

Ahhhh, Bliss!

February 07, 2004

Kids Pictures

We have several of those posed, photographer saw a big sale coming when we walked in, portraits of our children. But I prefer real life pictures to posed ones.

Like most mothers, I spend a significant amount of time snapping pictures of my kids. Before I got the digital camera, rolls of film would sit around for (sometimes) years before being developed. If they ever made it.

Often, I would take a roll to the 1 hour developing center, anxious to see "THE PICTURE". There would be 1, that I just knew would be blown up, framed, and hung on the wall.

I would anxiously return to the developing center, 59 minutes and 59 seconds after leaving the film. The envelope that held the pictures would quiver in my hands as I quickly flipped through the prints, searching for "The One".

Then, I would see it! And, more often than not, my excitment would collide with the reality that says, "You're a Doula, Not a photographer."

The shot wouldn't be centered. The child's eyes would be closed. The flash was to bright/dim. Something.

Today we went on a family outing, to Lexington, KY., to pick up an antique radio my husband won on EBAY. We were about an hour early. We're the ones who are always late so we didn't know what to do with ourselves.

We ended up at a McDonalds with a Playplace. I began snapping pictures of the littles. When I sat down to look through the shots, I couldn't believe my eyes. I think I may have actually gotten "THE ONE" of Khi!

Khi (2).jpg

Now I have to learn how to get the Smart whatever out of the Fuji FinePix, without loosing the picture. And to see if , "The One" translates well onto paper.

I also got a cute candid shot of Kaity. We'll keep looking for "The One" for her.
Kaity (2).jpg

My man children would not allow me to take pictures of their most handsome faces. They were bored and reverted to the games of childhood. They did allow this.
ThumbWar (2).jpg

Hope you're having a wonderful week end.

February 06, 2004

New Surveys

I got these off of Yarn in Loops

What Classic Movie Are You?

What Famous Leader Are You?

It must be the PMS medicine the doctor gave me!

February 04, 2004

Please Help!!!

I grew up as a teen ager on the Navy Base in New Orleans. Each year that a national election was held, there was an election night party on base, for all first time to be eligible voters.

The kids were given a ticket at the poll to gain entry. There were televisions set up around the room to see the returns from each network. Back then there were only 3 :-) Local candidates stopped by. There were snacks and a festive atmosphere. It was a great way to encourage kids to vote and to teach them about our democratic process.

As the mother of an 18 year old son, I want the same thing for my first time voter. This afternoon I went to the Circus Studio to talk with the director about it. Since it's only February, I think we'll have plenty of time to organize it all.

The timing for me to go must have been orchestrated. The circus director loved the idea. She committed the teen council under her direction, T.U.F.F. (Teens United For Fun), and the Museum to the project.

As we were talking, the director asked me a question about how many polling places there are in our city. I didn't know. Just then, a family friend from before I was born, who happens to work at the polls each year, came in with her Great Grandson. She was able to answer all of the poll questions.

Then, one of the circus teachers came in. She loves the idea. She suggested that we bring the matter to our City leaders to turn it into a huge event. She is friends with one of the commissioners. She will set up a meeting for all of us to discuss and plan it.

So, now I find myself writing a proposal. This is where I need help. I need a catchy name for our party. Something to put on posters, flyers, and newspaper ads. PLEASE HELP!!!

February 03, 2004

knitting

I've been enjoying reading Annie's Blog about her Tuja sweater that she's knitting along with her friends. It's a beautiful pattern.

I'm intrigued by the knit alongs that I see online, though I've never actually been able to join in. I'm on the Handknit Sock list on Yahoo. I haven't made any of their socks either.

I did finish a great pair of plum colored socks today. They'll be nice and warm if we get the snow we were promised tonight. We'll all need to tune into Curlypurl tomorrow to see if the JR method of snow calling really works!

February 01, 2004

February

February is here. Lately, with each new month, I see a new beginning.

Benny and I are about to begin our own celebrations. We had our first date in February. This year will make 10 years. It's a time of celebration and of reminiscing. We have grown and changed a lot in 10 years. Most of it good.

I want to do a school project with the littles about the origin of Valentine's Day.
Maybe we'll make some schmaltzy hearts out of paper doilies and hang them around the house.

Whatever we do, we need something fresh and new. Any suggestions for a 6 and 8 year old?