« December 2003 | Main | February 2004 »

January 31, 2004

Life is Funnier Than Fiction

While watching Blue Collar Comedy Tour: The Movie, with my 15 year old for the umpteenth time, I realized the wisdom of Jeff Foxworthy's words. The real stuff really is the funniest.

Case in point...

I live on the Ohio river, about half way between Deliverance and Feed the Children .

While at the local video rental store, I overheard one of the employees, through tears of laughter telling his manager about a phone call he had just taken. It seems a customer had called to ask if the movie they were advertising out at the Drive -In, Closed for the Season was out on video yet!

The employee, a college student from someplace else, suggested the customer come in and ask for him personally. He would be more than happy to help look for it!

We knew before we moved here, this place would be "Special"!

January 30, 2004

Are you a Knitter?

Cool granny
You are a masterful knitter! I don't know how you
got this result, but what the hell... Enjoy
your title, and try selling some of your
"unvented" patterns- you may make
enough for that bundle of qiviut you've been
drooling over...

Are you a knitter?
brought to you by Quizilla

Who Knew??? Happy week-end!
AJJ

January 29, 2004

Clown Socks

In anticipation of a 2 night hospital stay next month, I decided to make myself some "Diva Socks". The thought is, if I have to feel like shit, at least my ankles will be lovely! I'm working on some scarlet socks with eyelash yarn cuffs. I guess the movie I was watching last night was too good. I was knitting along and looked down to find a perfect birthday gift for my most favorite clown!
ClownSock.jpg
Since I don't actually have any friends who are clowns, I'll frog about an inch and a half tonight and close the toe.

During a conversation with my friend Carolyn she mentioned that a friend of hers has made a pair of bed socks out of cashmere and silk. I still have some of the Tussah Silk. So I ordered some cashmere from Rose yesterday. I plan to spin it into a yarn with one ply of each. I want to find a toe up sock pattern with a regular hand knit sock heel, not the short row kind. If you know where to find such a pattern please tell me.

It's snowing again!!! Under the street light, it looks like diamonds falling from the sky!

January 28, 2004

Mid Winter Cinnamon Toast

My dad used to make this special cinnamon toast for an after sledding treat!

Toast sliced bread in the toaster and let it cool.
Spread with softened butter.
Generously cover the butter with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar.
Place on baking sheet under broiler until bubbly.

Enjoy with hot chocolate or tea.

January 27, 2004

Snow Days!!!

I love winter! I love the feel of warm blankets, hand knitted sweaters and socks, and fire in the fireplace. I feel like a better mother in winter. I cook things like stew and roast that take hours. And I bake things.

Making big winter time meals, and seeing my family enjoy them, gives me a huge sense of self fullfillment (especially on the rare occassions that my daughter will eat them). I wonder if it's similar to the fullfillment my friends who work outside their homes get when they finish a major project at work. I can't imagine having to hold down a full time job and be a wife and mother, with all the running that involves. I think heaven has a special place for those women. Maybe they get to sleep for the first 1000 years!

Even Daisy Dawg is happier in this weather!
Daisy 002 (2).jpg

I hope you're enjoying your winter too!

January 23, 2004

Sandpaper Sweater

I'm finally back to the length where I was when I realized Kaity's sweater was too small around.lace (2).jpg
I'm about to split the front and back and work them flat. It shouldn't slow me down too much. It's 24 degrees here tonight. I think I have plenty of time to finish this by spring. If I'm lucky I still have a lot of winter ahead of me. I love the cold weather.

I'm off to eat some more turkey soup. I love the day after we have turkey. I boil the carcass and make soup with Amish noodles. As an interesting side note, the Amish noodle bag had a website to contact them. Go figure.

January 22, 2004

Mini Thanksgiving

Tonight I made a mini Thanksgiving dinner, complete with Khi's favorite "Pumpin" Pie. A few years ago we ordered one of those Ronco Showtime Rotisseries It is the first and perhaps only thing I've ever ordered from T.V. that really is as good as it looks on the infomercial. I rubbed the bird with Tony's It's the only Cajun spice worth having. Sometimes I make Sausage Pecan Dressing, but tonight made other side dishes instead. Here's the recipe if you're interested

Sausage Pecan Dressing

1 cup celery chopped
1 cup onion chopped
1/2 cup bell pepper chopped
1 stick butter
8 cups cornbread crumbled
5 cups toasted white bread broken
5 cups chicken broth
1 pound ground pork sausage
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 eggs slightly beaten
1 to 1 1/2 cups broken pecans

Cook celery, onion, and bell pepper in butter until tender. Cover breads with heated broth and veggies, mixing well. Brown sausage. Add to bread, along with seasonings, eggs, and pecans. Toss lightly and bake uncovered in a 9 x 13 pan at 325 degrees for 45 minutes.

A fair substitute for busy days can be made with packaged stuffing mix and sausage. Just put the pecans in after it sits covered.

Since we had a mini Thanksgiving, I guess I need to say what I'm thankful for! At this particular moment I am most thankful for my wonderfully compassionate 15 year old. How many can say that about a 15 year old son? At 2:00 this morning when I couldn't sleep due to raging PMS, he rooted around in the pantry and found a hidden chocolate bar, left over from Christmas, and gave it to me! He'll be a terrific husband one day! Here's a picture of him goofing around. He rarely lets me take his picture, so a proper smile was out of the question.
J.jpg

January 20, 2004

Spinning Again

I haven't spun anything for awhile. Someone on SheepThrills suggested a Chocolate exchange. Each participant will share chocolate indigenous to where they live. Since I'm in Ohio, I'm sending chocolate Buckeyes. Each serving of chocolate is to be sent in a fiber container. I plan to spin this Tussah Silk roving that was dyed by my friend Rose
silk 001 (2).jpg I love the bright colors! I'll knit it into rectangles with eyelet holes on each end. I'll sew them up and run an I cord through the eyelets to create little bags. Then the recipient can use the little bag to hang their oil bottle on their wheel or something.

Rose gave me this Sett Gauge for Christmas. I love it. It's the only one I've ever seen with a handle. It makes it really easy to use.
SettGauge (3).jpg

January 15, 2004

Grrrrr.

So, I had been knitting right along on Kaity's spring sweater (See "Begin Again"). I'm knitting in the round up to the sleeves. Then I'll split it and knit the front and back flat, sew on the sleeves and slice the front for a zipper. Easy Peasy. WRONG!

I thought it may be long enough from the bottom to start the front. So I had her try it on. It was long enough, but just enough too tight, that now I have to start over. I failed gauge 101 and it really shows sometimes. I thought of ways to add more in the front after I split it. But if I did that, I would hate the sweater every time she wore it.

My friend Tami says that some things in life are sent to be sandpaper for our souls, to rub off the rough spots. Maybe this sandpaper sweater will teach me a lesson. Or maybe I'll just burn it!

January 13, 2004

new stitches

I just finished knitting the first braid on my new hat. I really enjoy learning new knitting stitches and watching the fabric appear before my eyes. I think that's why I enjoy weaving so much. I don't get to weave as much as I would like. But we're setting up a radio/weaving room in our basement for my husband and me. I'll weave and he'll work on his vintage radios. Or not. And we'll just spend time down there together, watching anything other than cartoons on television.

Khi is his daddy's shadow. Tonight he fell asleep as they read an antique radio guide. Khi likes to look at the pictures as his daddy reads about the history of radios.
BedTimeStory.jpg

January 12, 2004

The Littles

Meet the Littles
Littles.jpg
They are the light of our lives! Kaity is the little girl I dreamed of, when I was a little girl playing with dolls. She has a tender sweet spirit but doesn't let her brothers get by with anything. God gave us Khi to keep us laughing as we grow old! He has a playful spirit that keeps us all on our toes.

I received this hat kit today from Rose
hat.jpg. It's the "Swirls Hat" from Fiber Trends.

I cast on and will keep it as my at home project. I can take Kaity's sweater wherever I go since I don't have to carry along the pattern.

January 09, 2004

My Man Child

This is my oh so very handsome, kind, and considerate eldest child.
JHB.jpg
It is entirely thanks to him (with much help from Mary) that I have this blog. He is one of the biggest blessings in the lives of everyone at our house.

As an 18th birthday gift, my husband gave him front row tickets to a wrestling event. This wrestling group is a nationally known one that my son and his friends follow online and through videos. It is surprising that they will be performing within 2 hours of us. The event is tomorrow. They will go early and eat out, and then see the show together. The littles and I will spend our time making pancakes and watching the Lizzie McGuire movie. Fun times!

January 08, 2004

Doula Thoughts

I've been in Doula Mode today. I received calls from 2 clients and 1 prospective client.

The doctor who helped me begin this journey has been away for almost a year and a half. He returns on February 15th. I have some thoughts I want to explore, and maybe put together into a book(let) for teenage moms. For this I need his help. I'm also hoping to receive a grant to pay for doula services for the medicaid moms here. If that happens, I imagine my brain will live in Doula Mode.

I saw the most beautiful baby picture today at Birthing The Future it took my breath away.

January 07, 2004

Pitiful Cat

We have the most pitiful cat in the world. She's my daugter's cat. Her name is Pretty. She's the best basement defender from mice we've ever known. But she's a wuss cat when it comes to comfort.

If it is above 60 degrees outside, Pretty can be found lying on the cool bricks by the fireplace. We've even caught her lying in the bathtub. On really hot days, she finds a spot in front of one of the air conditioners, and doesn't move.

If it's below 60 degrees outside, Pretty can be found lying on one of the furnace registers, sucking up all the heat. Tonight it is 25 degrees. Pretty has made herself at home on my electric blanket. Nothing like having to fight a cat for a spot on your own bed!
Cat.jpg

January 06, 2004

King's Day

Today is King's Day. It is celebrated in New Orleans as the official beginning of Mardi Gras, though the parades won't begin for a few weeks. This is one of the few days of the year that I miss living there.

Beginning today and through Fat Tuesday (the day before Ash Wednesday) bakeries and grocery shelves will be lined with King Cakes. Offices all around the city will have King Cake today and then every Monday until the end. If you're really lucky, you work where someone lives by Randazzo's or Gambino's bakery and will bring in the first cake. Theirs are the best.

Each cake has a little plastic baby inside. Tradition dictates that whoever gets the piece with the baby, has to bring the cake the next week. People have spent years training their throats to swallow the baby. But it's all in fun, and I've never seen anyone actually not bring in the cake.

I was going to copy my favorite King Cake recipe but was worried about Copyright infringement. So If you're interested in baking one or making any other New Orleans dish may I suggest La Bonne Cuisine This cookbook is printed by the women of All Saint's Church.

Begining in 1974 the ladies of the church held fundraiser dinners where they brought in the food and sold the recipes for $1.00 each. Everyone enjoyed the food so much that in 1980 the recipes were compiled into the first printing of the cookbook. They tested each recipe at cottage dinners in homes, 3 times before it was allowed to be in the cookbook. They're now on their 12th printing with 165,000 copies in print.

Happy Mardi Gras!

January 05, 2004

Hangin' Around

Today wasn't as bad as the anticipation of it had been. Two kids had circus. My son worked on ankle hangs from the trapeze.
ankle hang (2).jpg
My heart doesn't go into my throat anymore when I see him perform tricks like this. He did almost fall off doing a monkey roll, but I think it scared him more than it did me. It will make him more careful next time.

January 04, 2004

Back to real life

My husband has been home for 5 days. He was home for 5 days for Christmas too but we were too busy. We have enjoyed this little vacation so much, but alas it has come to an end. The crunchy Christmas tree is on the alley waiting for tomorrow's pick up, and we all have to go back to real life.

Kaity spent some of her Christmas money on a potholder weaving loom. She spent her last evening of vacation weaving a potholder for her Godmother.
weaving.jpg

I'm moving along on her lace sweater. I'm so glad to have something easy to take along to circus classes and the vision therapy waiting room!

Begin Again

As I knit the first square of the afghan, I came to realize that it was truly going to be a 20 month project for me. I don't have what it takes to spend 20 months on 1 project. So I ripped it out. As I ripped, I felt a physical and mental relief.

The book will now be part of my knitting reference library. The 20 skeins of wool will become lace spring sweaters for my daughter and me.

For my pattern, I've decided to begin with Erda Kappeler's lace pattern. It was featured as a Knitted Merino Scarf on the cover of Spin Off in 1999. I'll use vertical rows of chevrons from that pattern, separated by vertical rows of p2 k1tbl p2.

Here's a swatch for Kaity's Cardigan
swatch.jpg

Hers will be lace all over. Mine will have lace panels down both sides of the front with a solid back. I'll knit them both in the round and then slice them and add buttons down the front. The repeats are easy to remember so knitting will be a joy again.